Page 30 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 29

Basic HTML Version

J
e w i s h
B
o o k
A
n n u a l
24
notes on a wide variety of topics, ranging from news of a library’s
new acquisitions to the clarification of some scholarly problem.
The present-day reader, holding in his hands the crumbling pages
of
HB,
is overwhelmed at the vast storehouse of bibliographic
information crowded into these modest pamphlets.
HB
had an immense influence on the subsequent development
of the Jewish bibliographic journal. Indeed, in the pre-World
War One period, the two leading bibliographic journals not only
viewed themselves as successors to
HB
but were, in fact, virtually
indistinguishable from it in format and in nature of contents.
In 1890 an attempt was made to continue the work started by
HB.
In that year there appeared six issues of a journal called
Central-Anzeiger fiir jiidische Litteratur,
edited by N. Briill in
Frankfurt am Main. However, it was the more successful and sub-
stantial
Zeitschrift fiir Hebraeische Bibliographie
(Z
fHB)
that
can be said to have been the true successor to
HB.
Published in
Berlin from 1896 to 1921, the Z
fHB
was edited by Heinrich Brody
and Aron Freimann. A glance through the pages of a volume will
give some indication of the nature of this publication’s contents.
In volume three (1898), for example, each issue, like the
HB,
begins with a bibliography of new publications, periodical and
monograph, in Hebrew and other languages. In citing a volume
of the yearbook of a Hungarian Jewish literary society, the editor
has translated the Hungarian titles of the articles into German.
Monograph listings are also frequently annotated, in some cases
the annotations actually constituting a brief review, as in the case
of a fascicle of the Itzkowski edition of the Mishnah or Salfeld’s
Das Martyrologium des Nilrnberger Memorbuches.
In the “Cata-
logues” section are listed those of the Kauffmann and Joachimstal
firms as well as catalogues of the Hebrew manuscripts in the Biblio-
teca Casanatense and in the Royal Library of Berlin. There was
also a review of articles of Jewish interest from the general press.
Considerable space was devoted to scholarly articles of a biblio-
graphic or bio-bibliographic nature. Here one finds articles by
E. N. Adler (on a Salonica Talmud edition), E. Biberfeld (on
Hebrew printing in Karlsruhe) and M. Steinschneider (on Chris-
tian Hebraists). Other areas of scholarship, especially of a literary
nature, are also to be found; e.g., by W. Bacher (on a Jewish
Bukharan poem), S. Poznanski (on Arabic expressions used by
Jewish authors) and M. Schreiner (on two polemical items found
among the Genizah fragments). Finally, each issue had a mis-
cellany of brief reviews and news items of bibliographic interest.
In addition to those already mentioned, many other distinguished
scholars of the day participated in the
ZfHB—A.
Berliner, S. J.
Halberstam, D. Kaufmann, A. Neubauer and M. Stern, to name
but a few. Like its predecessor
HB,
the Z
fHB
was a treasure-house
of bibliographical data, and together these two journals laid the