Page 33 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 29

Basic HTML Version

B
e r l in
—J
ew ish
B
ibliograph ic
J
ournals
27
volume as a Festschrift for H. Brody and included a number of
bibliographic studies, e.g., one on the printer Joseph Athias by
J. Da Silva Rosa, a study of Hebrew printing in Hungary by
B. Wachstein, and in Prague by A. Freimann. H. Meyer, editor
of
SB,
contributed a bibliography of articles on the history of
Hebrew printing. As befitting a bibliophilic publication,
SB
was
issued in folio and printed in large type, truly a fine example of
the art of typography and one not yet surpassed by any other
Jewish bibliographic journal.
The first Jewish bibliographic journal in the English language
also made its appearance during this period: the
Journal of Jewish
Bibliography (JJB),
published in New York City from 1938 to
1943 under the editorship of Joshua Bloch, late chief of the Jewish
Division of the New York Public Library. While
JJB
announced
its hope that it would “achieve and maintain the high standards
of excellence established for the
HB
. . . and the
ZfHB,”
this hope
was not realized. Its brief recording of new publications listed
only those sent to the
JJB
and in no way approached the com-
prehensive listings of the earlier journals. A number of scholarly
articles in English and Hebrew appeared; e.g., R. Mahler on cen-
sorship of Hebrew books in Galicia and C. Roth on the liturgies
of Avignon Jewry. However, most articles were either reviews of
books or review articles.
Yiddish Bibliography
While Yiddish bibliography had been included in the early
bibliographic journals, it had been done on a very limited scale
and was primarily concerned with early and rare books. With the
tremendous increase in the publication of Yiddish books in the
early decades of the twentieth century, the need for a means of
recording and studying this material from a bibliographic point
of view was apparent. The first attempt to meet this need was
the journal
Bikher-velt,
three issues of which appeared in Kiev
in 1919 under the editorship of N. Maizel. However, it was with
the appearance almost ten years later of two other bibliographic
journals devoted to Yiddish literature that the study of Yiddish
bibliography assumed prominence. In 1927 the American Branch
of YIVO began the publication of
Pinkos,
a quarterly “devoted
to the study of Yiddish literature, language, folklore and bibli-
ography.” In the pages of this journal which was published only
until 1929, there appeared articles by noted specialists in Yiddish
studies such as S. Niger, J. Shatzky, M. Weinreich, J. L. Cahan,
J. A. Joffe, and K. Marmor. While many of the articles were con-
cerned with aspects of Yiddish literary history, there were a num-
ber of bibliographic studies; e.g., I. Rivkind on Yiddish in Hebrew
books printed before 1648; M. Starkman on the bibliographical