Page 38 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 29

Basic HTML Version

J
e w i s h
B
o o k
A
n n u a l
32
lished by Bloch Publishing Co. of New York from 1929 to 1969.
More recently there have appeared two journals attempting to
act as a central listing for American Judaica:
Judaica Book Guide,
published since 1967 by Jonathan David Co. of New York, and
Judaica Book News,
published since 1970 by Bookazine Co. of
New York. Mention should also be made of an important biblio-
graphic publication appearing periodically in Buenos Aires:
Mes
del libro judio (Hodesh fun Yidishn bukh
) , published by the
Associacion Mutual Israelita Argentina (AMIA), the Jewish
community organization of Buenos Aires, in connection with their
annual celebration of Jewish Book Month. As a catalogue of books
available at the book fair, it includes publications in Hebrew,
Yiddish and English from Israel and the United States. It is,
however, its listing of Latin American Judaica, in Spanish and
Yiddish primarily, that is of the greatest utility, especially in the
absence of any other periodically up-dated bibliographic publica-
tion dealing with Judaica published in Latin America, particularly
Argentina.
Book Trade Periodicals
It was in Israel, however, with its large Hebrew reading public
intensely interested in the Jewish book, where the largest Jewish
publishing network in the history of Jewish publishing was to
be found, that a prolific and successful bibliographic press devel-
oped that could meet the needs of the book trade. The first such
publication appeared in 1941:
Hed ha-Sefer,
published (one issue
only) in Tel-Aviv by the United Hebrew Book Publishers of Pal-
estine (forerunner of the Association of Book Publishers of Israel)
with the assistance of Mosad Bialik publishers. Consisting pri-
marily of lists and reviews of new publications as well as of news
from the local publishing scene, this set the pattern for many of
the journals which followed. From 1945 to 1947 there appeared
‘En ha-Sefer,
edited by E. Bin-Gurion and published in Tel-Aviv;
it consisted entirely of listings of currently published Palestinian
Hebraica. Similar in contents was the Hebrew-English
Palestine
Book News,
several issues of which appeared in 1947 and 1948,
published by the United Hebrew Book Publishers of Palestine
and the Foreign Trade Institute. Another attempt was made in
1953 when three issues of
Tahazit ha-Sefer
were published in Tel-
Aviv by Sokhnut Sifrutit A. Karmi. A more substantial and sue-
cessful bibliographic journal was
‘Olam ha-Sefer,
published in
Tel-Aviv from 1954 to 1958 by the Book Publishers’ Association
of Israel. The Association also attempted to reach a larger segment
of the world market with an English-language
Quarterly
(1960-
1961), later superseded by its
Bulletin
(1963-67). The Associa-
tion’s most successful journal of this type was, however,
Ha-Sefer