Page 91 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 34

Basic HTML Version

LANDRESS / ZIONIST ARCHIVES AND LIBRARY
81
difficult task of distribution of Nazi confiscated Jewish holdings.
One of the important services of the library is the compilation
of bibliographies. From 1946-1956 it issued a bimonthly and
annually cumulated bibliography called
Palestine and Zionism,
an index of books, pamphlets, ephemera and periodicals ar­
ranged by author, subject and title. It also issues annotated
bibliographies, the most recent being “Selected Books on Israel”
published by the JWB Jewish Book Council. Bibliographies on
specific topics for individuals and organizations are continually
compiled.
The air-conditioned, booklined reading room with its card
catalogue, current periodicals and newspapers, supplemented by
individualized help from reference librarians, is conducive to
study. In addition, inquiries by telephone and letters are an­
swered. Although it is primarily a reference library, duplicate
books and pamphlets are lent to individuals as well as to librar­
ies through interlibrary loan. When material cannot be bor­
rowed, xerox and photographic reproductions are supplied. Visits
are arranged for groups to acquaint them with the library’s
services and holdings.
Since the holdings reflect specific spheres of interest, the staff,
having excellent linguistic knowledge, keeps itself informed from
day to day by perusing the literature as it comes into the library
and by following media presentations.
The collection is indexed in accordance with Library of Con­
gress rules and classified by a modified Dewey Decimal system.
The Zionist Archives and Library is a reservoir of knowledge
for those seeking information in its specialized fields. Its staff
strives to help all those who seek its services.