Page 113 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 38

Basic HTML Version

TUCHMAN / BOSTON HEBREW COLLEGE LIBRARY
1 0 3
PEDAGOGIC MATERIALS
One o f the guiding purposes in the establishment o f the college
was to train teachers. In 1972, a generous gift established the
Herman and Peggy Vershbow Pedagogic Center, to serve the
needs o f studen t and faculty research and to aid in prepara tion
for student teaching. T he Center quickly became known as a
collection meeting the needs o f teachers o f Hebrew and Jewish
studies, principals o f Jewish schools in the Greater Boston area
and all others interested in Jewish education. In addition to the
basic books and periodicals in Jewish education, the collection
contains sample curricula, teachers guides, textbooks, pedagogi­
cal aids and m imeographed educational programs.
In 1977, a generous gift established the John S. and Florence G.
Lawrence Microfilm Collection. T h rough the funds available for
this collection the library was able to acquire the complete file of
the
J ewish Advocate,
from 1904 to the present. This newspaper is
essential for any archival research on the development o f Bos­
ton’s Jewish community. In addition, the library obtained a spe­
cial collection o f 108 titles dealing with the Jewish community of
Palestine du ring the Ottoman period, 1516-1917. T he library
acquired jointly with the Boston University Libraries, microfilms
of the manuscript and special rare book collections o f the Jewish
Theological Seminary o f America. These importan t acquisitions
greatly augmented ou r small microfilm collection which consisted
of nine Hebrew periodicals, including
HaPisgah and Ha Sanegor,
which were published in the United States at the end o f the 19th
century.
During the 1970’s a steady stream o f Russian Jewish immi­
grants landed in Boston. In 1978, in o rd e r to meet the needs o f
this community, the library established a special Russian language
collection o f Jewish content, tha t included novels, biography,
history and works on Jewish holidays, customs and ceremonies.
Tours were arranged to acquaint the Russians with the extensive
Yiddish and phonog raph record collections of the library.
COOPERATIVE EFFORTS
The expand ing role o f the library in the Boston academic
community can also be seen th rough the various ties the library
has with o the r institutions in the area. In 1977, the library was