Page 120 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 43

Basic HTML Version

108
JEWISH BOOK ANNUAL
collections according to various rites, individual liturgical pieces,
historical poems and the like. To deal with this vast amount of
literary and documentary material, three centers of scientific
study were developed around which were grouped the leading
scholars and researchers.
The first center had its inception in Germany (Berlin, 1930),
where the Schocken Institute for Research of Hebrew Poetry was
established under the direction of Hayyim (Heinrich) Brody. He
was later joined by Hayyim (Jefim) Schirmann, Menahem Zulay,
Abraham M. Habermann and others. This center was
transferred to Jerusalem in 1934 following the rise of Hitler.
The second center was established in New York by a group of
scholars which included: Louis Ginzberg (1873-1953), Israel
Davidson (1870-1939), Simon Bernstein (1882-1962), Joseph
Marcus (L898-1979), Shalom Spiegal (1899-1984) and others
who were connected especially with the Jewish Theological Semi­
nary of America. Among the important products of this center
was Davidson’s
Otsar ha-shirah veha-piyyut
(Thesaurus of Hebrew
medieval poetry), which appeared in four volumes (1924-1933;
2d ed., 1970) and which provided the bibliographical basis for
research in Medieval Hebrew poetry.
The third and most important center was set up in 1967 by the
Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities in Jerusalem, under
the direction of Ezra Fleischer. This center is continuing the
work of sifting and identifying the Genizah manuscripts and is
augmenting the bibliographical work of Davidson.
It is difficult to enumerate all the works that have appeared
during the last decade, and especially to take account of the many
scholarly studies that have appeared in Hebrew and foreign lan­
guage periodicals. We shall endeavor to list here the most impor­
tant contributions to the various areas of research.
I. EDITING OF TEXTS
E. Fleischer,
Pizmonei ha-Anonimus
(The pizmonim of the
Anonymous Paytan, Jerusalem, Israel Academy of Sciences and
Humanities, 1974).
This is the first collection of the work of an anonymous paytan
(liturgical poet) who apparently was active in Palestine during the
9th-10th centuries and was first discovered by Menahem Zulay.
The 580 poems which have come down to us in a single manu­