Page 171 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 45

Basic HTML Version

SINGERMAN/JEWISH AMERICANA IN AMERICAN LIBRARIES
1 6 3
Hermalin, N.M. Shaikewitz, Moses Seiffert, Abner
Tannenbaum, John Paley, Isaac Rabinovich, or M.M. Dolitzky.
As for publishing houses represented by Harvard’s impressive
collection, the imprints of M. Chinsky, E. Zunser, J.
Werbelowsky, B. Rabinowitz, A.H. Rosenberg, Saphirstein &
Rosenbaum, and Kantrowitz &Katzenelenbogen are to be found
in abundance. If these neglected texts printed on acidic paper are
to be saved beyond the current century, they are directly in need
of preservation microfilming.
PHILADELPHIA TREASURES
Researchers in Jewish studies often associate Philadelphia with
the name of Dropsie College (now renamed the Annenburg
Research Institute for Judaic and Near Eastern Studies), where a
considerable amount of early American Judaica, including titles
from Isaac Leeser’s library, reposes. A.S.W. Rosenbach, a Phila­
delphian, presumably made extensive use of this collection in his
An American Jewish Bibliography
and numerous specimens of
Philadelphia imprints after 1850 are to be found here. There is
located here, for example, a unique copy of
The Conversion ofaJew
by Reading the New Testament in Prison,
a tiny chapbook published
around 1815 by the Sunday and Adult School Union in
Philadelphia. Another seldom encountered item, reflective of
the intense conversionist activity once directed against American
Jews, is the
Constitution of the Female Society ofBoston and the Vicinity
for Promoting Christianity among the Jews
(Boston, 1816), one of
three known copies. Jewish publications emanating from Savan­
nah, Georgia, or Charleston, South Carolina are comparatively
few in number; the Annenberg Research Institute hasJacob De la
Motta’s
Discourse at the Consecration of the Synagogue of the Hebrew
Congregation Mikva Israel, in the City of Savannah
(1820), as well as
the keepsake
Inauguration of the Hebrew Orphans’ Asylum in
Charleston, S.C., January 8th, 1860,
containing the text of the ora­
tion by Asher D. Cohen and Rev. H.S. Jacobs’ prayer and ode.
Another seldom encountered city as a place of publication for
Judaica is Richmond, Virginia, represented by Maximilian J.
Michelbacher and George Jacobs,
Addresses delivered before
Rimmon Lodge, No. 68, and Benjamin Lodge, No. 69 ,1.O.B.B. . . . on
January 6th, 1867.
With the recent gift of Edwin Wolf 2nd’s personal collection of