Page 95 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 54

Basic HTML Version

87
Jewish Book during Nazi Era
berg
(task force Rosenberg, hereafter referred to as ERR) was cre­
ated. The ERR engaged well trained German librarians familiar
with Jewish books, archives, museums and art collections. Dr.
Pohl, author of several vicious anti-Semitic books, was one of the
chief collectors for the ERR. In 1933 he was sent by the Nazis to
study in Palestine, and is purported to have attended the Hebrew
University until 1936. On March 1, 1941, he became chief of the
Hebraica collection in the library of the “Institute for Study of the
Jewish Question,” founded by A. Rosenberg in Frankfurt-am-
Main. Another German expert on Judaica, Professor Peter-Heinz
Seraphim, compiled a bulky volume on East European Jewry (pub­
lished in Essen, 1938), with the help of a staff from the
Ost Europa
Institute in Koenigsberg. He made several research trips to East­
ern Europe, and also visited the YIVO library in Vilna in 1936. Dr.
Volkmar Eichstadt, another Nazi expert on bibliography, com­
piled a survey of the literature on the Jewish question available in
German libraries
(Forschungen zur Judenfrage,
vol. VI, 1941, pp.
253-264). The Nazis established an
Institutfuer deutsche Ostarbeit
in Cracow for the occupied Polish areas. Its Jewish department was
headed by Dr. Joseph Sommerfeldt, who was conversant with
Eastern European Jewish history and bibliography (cf. his article
on Jewish historiography in Eastern Europe, published in the
quarterly
Die Burg
, Cracow, 1940). The Hungarian Nazi Mihail
Kolozvary-Borcza published a comprehensive bibliography of
Jewish literature in Hungary. Also associated with Rosenberg’s In­
stitute was Dr. Wilhelm Grau, a Nazi specialist in Jewish history.
He was succeeded in 1942 by Dr. Otto Paul, and, after Paul’s death
in 1944, by Dr. Klaus Schickert, author of a voluminous volume on
the “Jewish Question in Roumania.”
The ERR became active without delay. Its representatives ar­
ranged in July, 1940, with the SS and police in France and Bel­
gium, for joint examination of Jewish libraries in those countries.
August Schirmer, a former staff member of the anti-Semitic news
agency,
Der Weltdienst
, became the ERR representative in Amster­
dam. Up to March 1, 1942, the ERR had established offices in Par­
is, Amsterdam, Brussels, Belgrade, Riga, Minsk, Vilna, Kaunas,