Page 109 - Jewish Book Annual Volume 7 (1948-1949)

Basic HTML Version

JACOBS----JEWISH LITERARY LABOR
97
LOEB SERIES
Professor Morris Loeb, of New York, the distinguished chemist,
scholar and public worker, who died on October 8, 1912, by his
Last Will and Testament, created a Fund under the following
terms: “I give and bequeath to The Jewish Publication Society
of America the sum of Ten Thousand Dollars as a permanent
fund, the income of which alone shall, from time to time, be
utilized for and applied to the preparation and publication of a
scholarly work devoted to the interests of Judaism.” The books
published under this imprint are:
Saadia Gaon
His Life and
Works
, by Henry Maker, published in 1921;
The Pharisees
The Sociological Background of Their Faith
(two volumes), by
Louis Finkelstein, published in 1938;
The Jewish Community
Its History and Structure to The American Revolution
(three vol-
umes), by Salo Wittmayer Baron, published in 1942; and
The
Jews in Spain
Their Social
,
Political and Cultural Life During
the Middle Ages
(two volumes), by Abraham A. Neuman, pub-
lished in 1942.
REPRINT LIBRARY
In order to make some of the titles available at a lower price,
the Society created a Reprint Library, in a uniform binding, which
makes it possible for every Jewish home to have a Jewish library.
Approximately a hundred titles are available at the present time
in this collection. All in all, the Society has published 250 titles,
including books on ethics, history, essays, Bible study, fiction,
juveniles, poetry, and biography. Over four million copies of the
Society’s publications have been distributed.
THE PRESS
The need for a Hebrew Press in America was first brought to
the attention of the Society in 1914 by Dr. Cyrus Adler, whose
vision as regards the needs of the Jews in America, in fact through-
out the world, was remarkable. His associates on the Board of
Trustees agreed with him, but thought the plan too ambitious
because of the capital expenditures necessary to cut the type and
provide the mechanical equipment. However, Dr. Adler, with the
courage and enthusiasm which he devoted unselfishly to so many
activities of The Society, and with the assistance of Simon Miller,
then President, worked very quietly and, by 1920, secured a fund
of $100,000.00 to establish the Press. Half of this sum was a gift
by Jacob H. Schiff, the greatest benefactor the Society has ever
had; $25,000.00 was given by Louis Marshall, the great Jewish